Friday, May 06, 2005

What a week it was going to be, and was, and it was, wasn't it ...


Still surfacing after the lead in and the lead out to the Nimbin Mardi-Grass that sweeps through this little village about this time every year. 10,000 plus tourists descend en mass to protest for Cannabis drug law reform and celebrate 'the weed'. There is a 'Pickers Harvest Ball', a giant joint twenty feet long carried through the streets, and ganja fairies of both sexes in skimpy green outfits and body paint handing out joints and 'magic' cookies. A locally organised brigade of volunteers called 'Jungle Patrol' do crowd and traffic control, and 'security'. This year a few undercover police from Queensland busted a ganja fairy, but there is a general sense of tolerance, and the crowds were mellow and well behaved.
I'm not a crusader, or even much of a user of the 'weed' (... it makes my head go funny ... probably something allergic I ate in my youth ... ) but I understand well reasons for decriminalisation. I see the issue as having consciousness raising effects (in the political sense) . Local activists are not slow to point out the political motivations for prohibition. Double standards aside, the issue is called in terms that outline corporate abuse and consumer exploitation. And for that reason I am behind it.
My role. OK. I saw Mardigrass as an opportunity, or a platform, to launch a little media project for the community, and the community radio station. I've set up a web site to access the sound files of the programming for Mardi-Grass, and a podcast site. A huge pretzel shaped learning curve for me. I'm still getting my head around RSS ( but it will find me eventually...).
Podcaster comrade bicycleMark came through with the goods again with a great live to air internet broadcast interview about the history of Cannabis Cafes is Amsterdam, especially for Mardi-Grass. The Nimbinites *love* these interviews .... another little media experiment.
Thanx Mark.
So now I have my own domain and podcast site! Woah! Where is all this taking me ... ?

No comments yet